Careers with King
King Consulting has been a woman-owned, woman-led business since our establishment in 1997. We love our work and strive to always provide our clients with the best funding, planning, and demographics services. We are currently looking to expand our team with a contract-based School Facilities Consultant. As with all our team members, this person must be collaborative, meticulous, friendly, and able to self-manage.
To apply, please review the requirements below and complete the application at the bottom of this page.
Job: School Facilities Consultant (SFC)
The School Facilities Consultant (SFC) reports directly to the President/Vice President to summarize the status of all ongoing projects under his/her management. The SFC is responsible for completing his/her own workload. This is a remote, contract position with the opportunity to become permanent.
Primary work duties
- Be available to coordinate with clients via phone or email Monday through Friday, regular business hours.
- Directly managing State School Facility Program projects.
- Complete self-assigned work, ensuring all deadlines are comfortably met and quality of work is excellent.
- Assign tasks to team members and be responsible for their timely and accurate completion.
- Track hours billed and deadline schedules to ensure projects are delivered within budget.
- Coordinate with Executive staff on a weekly basis to provide updates on project and personnel team status.
Required professional skills
- Strong proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong time management skills and ability to work independently.
- Knowledge of audit requirements and process.
- Assist with presentation materials for clients..
- Ability to provide and maintain a professional relationship with clients at all times.
Required industry knowledge and skills:
- Ability to coordinate complex funding applications across different State agencies, architects, engineers, and project professionals.
- Ability to follow funding applications from original submittal to release of funds and knowledge of time sensitive requirements for entire process.
- Ability to survey dwelling units and calculate student generation rates.
- Ability to calculate school capacities from maps and room uses.
- Understanding of School Facility Program (SFP) regulations and funding mechanisms. Understanding of how eligibility and funding is determined in each program.
- Understanding and ability to prepare eligibility and funding calculations within current SFP regulations.
- Understanding of required documentation/information necessary to prepare eligibility and funding applications.
- Understanding of California Department of Education (CDE) application for site and plan approval process and knowledge in preparing applications and knowledge in responding to CDE.
- Ability to review project plans and identify scope of work to adequately prepare funding applications and apply for different state funding programs.
- Understanding and experience in State School Facility funding application requests for applying and responding to the Office of Public School Construction on behalf of clients.
- Ability to request and understand enrollment data for use in eligibility and funding calculations.
- Understanding of dwelling units and student generation rates and how to prepare specific information.
- Ability to calculate school capacities.
- Knowledge and ability to work with clients regarding state funding procurement process.
- Knowledge and ability to articulate status of funding applications utilized by the Office of Public School Construction.
Other Qualifications Preferred
- Ability to prepare/ assist with other aspects of consulting services such as Developer Fee Studies, Level 1 and 2 as well as other services provided.
- Possess a broad range of financial, strategic, and commercial skills.
- Capable of managing the details of complex issues or transactions.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment.
- Personal characteristics including a high level of integrity, confidence and a team-oriented work ethic.
- Ability to identify opportunities and take initiative.
- Possess strong leadership management skills.
- Ability to understand and analyze complex business issues.
- Ability to communicate results to managing partners, outside agencies and clients in a clear and logical manner.
- A solid understanding of the education industry and the challenges it is facing.
- Ability to handle multiple assignments.
- Ability to travel.
Minimum Education & Experience Requirements
Graduation from a college or university with a bachelor’s degree, preferably including courses in business or public administration, public relations, accounting, school finance, communications, or a related field.
Five years of program or project management experience at the professional, management, or supervisory level in a construction management and/or finance program. Three years of experience analyzing and working with state or federal funding opportunities or maintenance and operations of public agency facilities may substitute for one year of the required experience.
Please provide a detailed resume and a work example that demonstrates your fit for the job. Examples may include a project management spreadsheet, professional writing sample, or project photos with a short, explanatory narrative. You may also include a cover letter if desired.